[TenTec] Radials

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 10:21:45 EDT 2004

Lots of articles from near the beginning of radio on this subject.

I've gotten along very well with 40 radials,  9 degrees apart.

All laying at the ground level, not buried, but not raised,  ( use coat
hanger staples and let the grass roots over take it )  This seems to be the
best level for ground mounted vertical on HF.  Buried actually detracts some
especially at 6 inches or more.

Varying lengths as the fence cuts off some areas, no less than 15 feet and
no more than the height of the vertical.

This seems to be the balance of benefit to cost & work

More radials does add some, but not enough to justify the cost & work,

Longer radials does add some, but again not enough to justify the cost &
work,

If I’m only getting half a dB gain,  then it really isn't enough do justify
the work.

I'd need to get 3 or more dB Gain to justify the work, For a vertical, that
would be these things.

  1) A higher vertical would do allot, especially on 80 or 160.
  2) Raising the vertical above ground as high as possible,  20 to 30 feet.
  3) 4 or 8 half wave Raised radials ( now counterpoise ) sloping down
slightly but at least 10 feet up.
  4) a 4 sqaure phase vertical array,  using techniques 1,2,3 above.

I'd do these as that would give many many dB Gain, but, it is impractical at
this QTH,

Thus it's back to the basic issue,  dB Gain versus cost and space.

for Gound mounted vertical,  If you have space,  more radials and longer is
better.  But at some point though, it's not gaining much and then you have
to weigh how much is worth it for you.

My 2 cents worth.

73's
Rich