[TenTec] OT: Question for Contesters

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 9 15:54:28 EDT 2004

W3ULS:

 >My impression of the recent CQ WPX CW contest was that there were a LOT
fewer contesters on the air than I had expected.

1. 10 meters is dead (versus ~1600 Q's in 2001 when I set the current USA
record).
2. 80 and 160 are always extremely noisy at this time of year.
3. The weather outside is very nice and not conducive to spending hours inside.

         The CQ WPX CW is a great contest but unfortunately it is held at
the WRONG time of the year.  By contrast, the CQ WPX SSB at the end of
March has huge participation.  With operations mostly limited to 15-40m,
many people decide it is really not worth spending 36 hours in front of
their radios on a nice spring weekend (good decision IMHO).

         KM4M (K4JA) did have competition from WE4OJ (K5KG), but they were
only about 50% of K4JA's score.  Most of the big USA multi-multi's don't
even bother trying to put together a crew for the CW WPX.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV