[TenTec] OT:Question for Contesters

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Thu Jun 10 10:20:17 EDT 2004

Thanks for the responses. I listened/operated mostly on 20, and some on 15.

I figured with the poorer propagation on 10 and 15 that 20 would be as
raucous as a coal town boardinghouse. Not so. There was what I would term
moderate activity, and very polite. In no case were conditions such that
either my IC-746PRO or TS-870 had to break a sweat. I had anticipated
having to haul out the OMNI VI to deal with the QRM, but it didn't happen.
In the prevailing conditions, my Argonaut V would probably have done fine
as well.

I guess I'm wondering whether there is a long-term trend that is hard to
authenticate (like global warming) in the overall number of active hams
worldwide: namely, downward.

When QST reports a reader survey turned up the most-named occupation of its
readers is "retired," then I do worry. Then came the WPX CW contest and
what I thought was rather less participation than I'd expected.

Anyway, I much prefer CW contests over phone and look forward to the next
one (IARU?).

Thanks again and 73,

John, W3ULS