[TenTec] Shack on a belt - VHF --- was: Contesting

Paul Valko w8kc at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 07:37:13 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Brown" <ken.d.brown at verizon.net>
To: <tentec at contesting.com>

> Joe HT....Another term I have heard is "the shack on a belt crowd"....I
> say if they are having fun with radio, good for them.

Absolutely.

Sometimes I feel I am the ham who actually finds HF DXing... well...
<sigh...>  Boooooorrrrrring.

Although I like lots of the ham radio activities, I get way more enjoyment
out of  VHF (albeit weak-signal) operation.

Maybe it's because I've been listening to "DX" for 40-mumble years starting
as a child listening to the BBC on my mother's portable shortwave radio.  So
it is burned into me that you are SUPPOSED to be able to hear anything and
everything below 30 MHz.

We all KNOW that VHF is only good for local communication with out a
repeater.  You are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE to work Florida from Michigan on
2 meters.  Yet I have and it was simply one of the most incredible
experiences of my ham radio life.  Yet I a have!

But it's not about ME, or YOU, or the kid with an HT.  It's US and OUR hobby
and it's supposed to be fun, dammit.

So have some fun today.

Speaking of which, how's that T-Kit 220 transverter coming along, Scott???
:-)

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and Other Fine Plastics.
Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc
Listen to 7.040 MHz (when I'm not on the air) by surfing to:
http://www.w8kc.com/stream.asx