[TenTec] Orion Ver. 1.371

N0KHQ at aol.com N0KHQ at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 20:15:38 EDT 2004

Hello All,

Owning the Orion for 8 days now has been an experience.

Updated to 1.371....no runs.....no drips.....and.....no errors.

The Sweep seems to have a little more spunk.....maybe its wishful thinking.
The Monitor Level didn't seem to be improved.......crank it up!!!!
The DSP "NR" seems to be improved....I thought it was all right before.

The problem I'm having now is not with the Orion, but with other stations
with less than
a great receiver. Due to the Noise Reduction capabilities of the Orion, even
though the "S" meter isn't reading an "S9", the received audio sounds like an
"S9" but may only be an "S2" or less. I find myself going back to stations
that cant hear me over the noise running a 100+ watts out of the Orion......so I
guess I'll have to start using my amp so these guys can hear me above their
noise level.

I'm glad I bought my Orion when I did. With the pricing of the new Yeasu and
Icom being priced in the five digit range I would expect the price of the
Orion to go up soon.

I'm giving the Orion a 99% complete and functional rig......when they crank
up the Monitor Level I'll give it a rating of 100% complete and functional.

Is the Sweep working better on ver. 1.371 or is it my imagination? Sure does
seem to be.

Later

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/17mcoaxmox.html
http://www.cebik.com/n0khq.html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/