[TenTec] It just depends...

n5xm at alltel.net n5xm at alltel.net
Sat Jun 12 10:27:46 EDT 2004

I've been into TT gear only about six years, but that is a bit misleading.  In that time, I've owned 11 different TT HF rigs on which I've made over eleven thousand contacts,  99% CW.  I don't say this to pat myself on the back, but to make a couple of further points, and to ask a question of this genteel group.  Going back to when you were first enamored with TT rigs, what was it that hooked you?

I am not a benchmaster.  I know enough theory to understand what's going on inside my rigs, in the atmosphere, and on the Sun, and I am not an Extra Lite.  I had read about how many CW ops used TT rigs because of the quiet reciever and QSK, so I found a nice, used Omni D, series C, and soon I didn't want to use my FT-920 any more.

We have every right to complain about anything we don't think is right about our TT rigs.  It gives TT feedback for improving things.  To think I've gone from that Omni D, to the Corsair and Corsair II, to the Omni V, to the VI+, to the Orion in 6 years still amazes me.  I'm proud to be a Ten Tec man.  I have some criticisms, but I would also say that if I had a Ferrari, I would probably be able to find some things I didn't like about it.  I love the elegant simplicity of TT rigs, even though earlier rigs looked like Russian tractors in a way.  Some of my attraction is emotional, and has nothing to do with specs.  I can think of a dozen other non-TT rigs I would love to have in my shack, but hey, I never met a rig I didn't like.  I LIKE the monochrome screen on my Orion.  I like the big knobs.  I just wanted to ask you fine folks to remember your roots and why you liked TT in the first place.  Apologies for being so long-winded, hi.  Richard, n5xm