[TenTec] It just depends...

J. W. (Dub) Thornton dub111 at peoplepc.com
Sat Jun 12 15:29:06 EDT 2004

Ten Tec'ies"

Very interesting trip back down memory lane.  My first QSK set-up was in
1969, & was the Heathkit Apache, Johnson TR switch, & Drake 2B with Q
multiplier.  It was a great set-up, with flawless QSK, but ONLY so long as
the signal I was working was strong enough for me to keep the RF gain
backed off on the 2B.  With a weak signal that required a high setting on
RF gain, the transmitted signal would beat the tar out of the front end on
the 2B, unless it was manually backed off before transmitting.  Nobody else
mentioned this problem, with similar setups, so perhaps my Johnson TR
switch simply did not provide the amount of isolation it was designed to
provide???  At any rate, I always longed for that QSK, flawed as it was, in
the succeeding set-ups I had.

I did not experience QSK again until 1987, when I purchased my first Ten
Tec rig, the Corsair II.  I discovered QSK that worked the way I think QSK
is supposed to work, along with an outstanding receiver, and eventually,
factory service that
that makes the whole Ten Tec experience a pleasant experience.   Since
getting the Corsair II, I have owned 13 Ten Tec rigs.  I still own 7 of
them, ranging from the Omni VI Opt 3, to the Triton IV (544).  While I
would certainly not like to do so, I could get along quite nicely with any
one of these 7 rigs, as my ONLY rig.  Yes,  I suspect the Orion is in my
future, but not right away.

"73"  Dub

J. W.  (Dub) Thornton  K5DUB
Minco, OK.