[TenTec] Orion Sweep - Mark

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sat Jun 12 20:22:59 EDT 2004

John,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't recall a sweep bandwidth adjustment, just the
sweep size. I wonder if I missed that or if it was added since last summer?
Is the sweep bandwidth related to the receiver bandwidth?

While I'm not sure about the absolute performance specs, with the Icom 756
and 756 Pro (never had a Pro II), I could usually use the sweep to tell what
kind of signal was present (CW, a steady carrier, voice or even SSTV). Is
that possible with the Orion? One of the things I used to do was to tune CW
with a very narrow filter and use the sweep to tell me if there were other
signals in the vicinity (which I wasn't hearing).

I know that you get a more detailed representation of the audio using a
spectral analyzer. However, that is limited to the audio bandwidth, at most
a few kHz. With the 756 Pro, you could scan 100 kHz. When I had the Orion, I
think the sweep was limited it 72 kHz, but that's still a lot more than you
can do with an audio output.

73,
Mark