[TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Tue Jun 15 03:16:21 EDT 2004

Stuart, that's a good point.

I began using the horizontal loop in field day over 25 years ago,  Initially
there were lots of people challenging the theory of the antenna (with nulls
and all).  But they couldn't challenge the continuous string of first,
second, or worst case third place the antenna brought us in the contest.
People told me it was a cloud burner - good for NDIS.  I worked tons of
pile-ups into stateside (from Europe) on 80m both on CW and SSB.  Never
fails.  So much for their theory.

It's always nice when a good-working antenna can be backed up by theory.
One thing I have never understood is many people's reluctance to use (or
even try) an antenna found to be good in practice, yet not proven in theory.

Oh, I'll admit I've tried a lot of stupid ideas and many have flopped, but a
few have turned out to be secret weapons.  Some (e.g., the EH-Antenna), even
life savers - if you are space limited.

73
Rick