[TenTec] On Grounding

Steve N4LQ n4lq at iglou.com
Wed Jun 16 19:56:27 EDT 2004

This is excellent. I've believed for many years that most amateur ground
system present more of a hazard to equipment than a help. Manufacture's
manuals all recommend a "good ground" however but this could be just a CYA
thing. Connecting the tower and coax shield grounds to your power line
ground isn't often easy and is seldom done. My Electrical entrance is
grounded to one old, beatup looking piece of conduit driven outside many
years ago and it's effectiveness is questionable. Running a large wire
between the coax of my dipole and that ground rod would be very difficult
and very long.
One thing I've done over the years is to use a large knife switch to
disconnect and ground my antennas when I've not on the air. The station
ground is not connected to the rig at all and the antenna ground rods are
used only to ground the antenna when I'm away. Somehow I got the idea that
having that big wire over the house, connected to ground acts as a constant
path for static buildup and may even help protect the house.
Having 2 ground systems, one for the electrical and one for the rig is
really asking for trouble and I suppose the interconnecting wire is the
cure. I'm going to revisit this in my shack and see if it can be done.

Steve N4LQ