[TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sun Jun 20 20:54:17 EDT 2004

Bill....

>From experience, I have to both agree and disagree with you.

I agree with you that some people will never be happy, i.e., the color CRT
discussion.

I disagree with you assumptions in paragraph two. I recently posted problems
I was having on my Orion and firmware update v1.371, after having spent
almost an entire weekend troubleshooting it, and after having notified
ditsnbit about the problem. I think I outlined the problem in reasonably
clear and understandable English, however 90% of the responses told me that
a large percentage of the responses comes from folks don't read what was
written and who really don't care about helping solve a problem, but more
than likely just enjoy seeing their call sign and name on the reflector. The
out my lightning ground system because it was 'wrong'. A lot of discussion
about RFI causing the problem, but RFI causing the problem only IF I had
updated to v1.371. Most of those respondants either failed to read or did
not comprehend the stated problem. Fortunately, there were some 10% of the
read and understood the problem.

I think that most of the postings, such as the inability to get the firmware
update to load in the Orion, is a true indication of folks either being in
too much of a hurry to read the instructions, or as  you say,  a lack of
understanding.

Everyone should take eHam reviews by their content.

I think this reflector is a great information sharing source, but you must
have your filters tuned to weed out the creditable information posted here.

Tom - W4BQF