[TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sun Jun 20 21:21:18 EDT 2004

"The performance I hear about sounds very desirable, and the crashes and
glitches sound very frustrating."

Absolutely!! I am  three weeks short of having had my Orion for a year. It
has been both a pleasurable and very frustrating experience. Fortunately Ten
Tec can easily be blamed for this!! If we are long-time Ten Tec users, we
are spoiled because in a heck of a lot of cases, when you open the factory
shipping box, basically all you have to do is put the radio on your desk and
in a huge majority of cases, it just sits there and works for you....FOR
YEARS!!

However the Orion is the first of a new breed of radios wherein software is
an intergal part of its operation ability. They do not have it completely
right yet, but similar to the Gates organization, they sure as heck do not
give up on getting it right either. I hate to use this comparison, but the
Orion is similar to Windows operating system, but in this case I am
hoping/betting the Orion came out similar to Win NT. And with each firmware
update, I am hoping this will be the Win XP version. And the Orion is
getting 'close'.

Am I upset because the Orion 'doesn't work the way I expected'? You bet I
am. But the reason I keep it is because of the excellent reputation
established by the company who built it.

Tom - W4BQF

Subject: Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review