[TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Mon Jun 21 10:28:36 EDT 2004

> From:
> "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq at iglou.com>
>

>... BTW,
>I am very acquainted with computer glitches. I've worked in an  IT
>department for the past 27 years! I've supported every version of dos, OS2
>and Windows. The Orion made me feel like I was still at work...

That's a good way to put it.

I've had a similar reaction, but I kept my Orion.  Maybe I am a
masochist, or maybe I enjoy the challenge of a great radio with an
almost great control system.  Yes, it's a busman's holiday for some of us.

The Orion seems to be a lifestyle as much as a product.  The lifestyle
includes the fellowship (using the word loosely) of this reflector, and
even some off-the-wall on-line reviews.  And it includes the great
on-air signal reports and the general mystique of the product.

Looking back, I think the "authoritative" reviews (like QST's) dropped
the ball.  They emphasize the RF side, which they are most familiar
with.  But they generally talked about the firmware only in terms of the
novel field update procedure, without enough skepticism about the
stability of the software that requires so many updates.

73, Martin