[TenTec] Reviewing the reviews

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Mon Jun 21 11:59:48 EDT 2004

At 11:02 AM 6/21/04 -0400, you wrote:

>I personally think it would be a better use of talent if the marketing
>department of Ten Tec would help present OWNERS of the Orion achieve the
>stability  of operation of the Orion and clean up the operational 'bug's'
>in the Orion, rather than chasing one suspect reviewer who posted on eHam.
>Who the hell really cares what a reviewer on eHam says about my radio? I
>want my  radio that I have had for a year, to just plain ole' operate reliably.
>
>And the Orion does not do that.
>
>Tom  - W4BQF

It's a given that we're doing that.  I don't design HF rigs or write code -
I deal with customer
issues.   Believe me, I make the engineering department at this company
aware of issues with
our equipment on a continuous basis - and often they're aware of them
before I even make it up
the stairs to the lab.

Criticism of what we're doing and how we're doing comes with the territory
in the ham business -
I thnk it's highly inappropriate if its done under the guise of someone
else's callsign.  If I'd looked
up that callsign in our order database and found someone who'd bought a rig
from us that was
railing about it - fine, I can live with that.  We wouldn't even be having
this discussion.   It's different
when someone claims to be a long time devotee of Ten-Tec and a Ten-Tec
reflector participant
sporting a callsign I've never heard of and who apparently has never bought
anything from us.
That raises my eyebrows, considerably.   I care, quite a bit.   People read
those reviews and
form opinions based on them, in part.  Is it fair to Ten-Tec to have a
review written by someone
who may be using someone else's callsign as a pseudonym and maybe never
owned the radio?
I see this kind of stuff happen not only to Ten-Tec, but other companies as
well.  It means little
to me how other companies handle it - my impression is they don't do
anything.  I do.

Hey, it may turn out that N7XCH really wrote the review in question and
this will all be a
moot point.   As a regular reflector reader, he must be seeing this
discussion.  Ed, are you
listening?  I left a message on your answering machine this morning.

73
Scott W4PA

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!