[TenTec] E-ham Bad Orion Review

M. P. Haynes k4beh at juno.com
Tue Jun 22 20:36:51 EDT 2004

Hi Bob,

That sounds like the 5kw  I.T.A. (I believe that was the company) that we
had at WSEV in Sevierville in 1960 and 61.  It was terrible, lots of
parasitics that would take out the screen bypass capacitors.  They were
attached to a metal shield as I recall.  When one would fail you had best
replace them all or you would be doing it again shortly. We kept bypass
capacitors in stock by the boxful.  I got to where I could change them
all out and have it back on the air in less than a half hour!  We got a
5kw Collins a year later and it was bulletproof.  The stereo sounded much
cleaner also.

73,

Pat-K4BEH