[TenTec] Heil ProSet adapter with Orion -- hum?

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Wed Jun 23 09:32:33 EDT 2004

OK, risking the firestorm from the Orion and the Heil crowd, here goes!
(Let's keep responses to technical discussion, OK?)

When I attempt to use my ProSet with an OLD Ten-Tec adapter (about 8
years old), I have an intermittent connection somewhere in the TX audio.
This shows up as a constant hum in the monitored SSB when it's failing.
I can move the connector at the rig interface and sometimes get it to
clear momentarily, but mostly it's just hum.  (I've made QSO's on
occasion, and partial QSO's before it started, like last week's TT net on
20m.)   I can't seem to locate what is intermittent.  It's not at the
1/8" phone jack between the headset, but seems to be right at the rig
connection.  I don't think it's inside the rig, because if I connect a TT
706 microphone, it works perfectly even if I stress the connector in all
directions.

There was discussion here on the reflector earlier about the addendum
that TT adds to the manual discussing the connection of the shield to the
connector shell, with a reference to Heil cables.  Was there a conclusion
to that discussion?  (No, I don't think we need to discuss other design
possibilities for the Orion, just how I can make sure my Heil works
reliably with this one!  Thanks.)

        73,  Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas