[TenTec] Orion - Week 3

John Rippey w3uls at 3n.net
Thu Jun 24 09:33:12 EDT 2004

I've owned two Mark V's. Kept them a total of 18 months, and sold them. I
did not like the way the analog filters were arranged, and they were pricey
as well. The existence of audio-level DSP seemed incongruous in a top-end
rig, and not very effective--the OMNI VI's NR button did better IMHO.

It appears that recent Mark V's have reverted to the major QC problems that
appeared in the first production runs and seemed to have been solved in
later runs. Maybe Vertex/Standard has outsourced parts and assembly.
Whatever, it's now caveat emptor all over again with regard to new Mark V's.

Barring a windfall of cash (Orion's out of reach), the radios of choice in
my shack are a TS-870, IC-746PRO, and an Argonaut V. Once getting used to
how the IF all-DSP filtering in these rigs works, it becomes increasingly
difficult to go back and use the old analog designs, even the venerable
OMNI VI.

My sense is we hams have never had it better in our choice of transceivers
priced under $1,500.

73,
John, W3ULS