[TenTec] Re Heil ProSet adapter with Orion -- hum

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jun 24 12:53:14 EDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:50:18 +0000, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

>I find it interesting that now, you are all discussing balanced audio lines
>in a positive light, Bob has described them without naming them as such and
>says they are the only ones he uses, and you have even gone as far as to
>claim the Orion takes a balanced input.

I don't "claim" anything -- I thought I had heard that the Orion has a balanced input.
Perhaps I heard wrong (or remembered wrong). I offered my professional advice (I
work in pro audio with balanced lines) to help someone figure out an audio problem.
Yet, when I mentioned last month
>that the new Yaesu rig takes a balanced feed with a XLR jack on the front
>panel, you all lined up to poo poo that.  Oh, we aren't BIASED now are we?

Balanced audio is is a good thing, but not a big deal for ham gear. And virtually every
ham rig I've ever seen has unbalanced inputs and outputs. If they are wired correctly,
both internally and externally, unbalanced ins and outs work fine as long as the wiring
is short and there's not a lot of RF in the shack. The important thing is that you
understand what you have and wire it correctly.

Jim Brown  K9YC