[TenTec] ORION and IC7800 - Kirby - GUI's

Mark Erbaugh mark at microenh.com
Sun Jun 27 08:44:09 EDT 2004

I agree.  To date, most computer based radio control programs have tried to
make the computer screen look like a traditional radio front panel.  The
radio front panels were designed because that was an effective user
interface given the limitations of knobs and buttons. We really need to
think of the radio control program as a computer program and design an
interface that works for that.

I think there needs to be a 'paradigm shift' in thinking about the human -
radio interface.  For example, most radios have two VFOs. In the old days,
they actually had two VFO circuits, but with most radios (excluding the ones
with dual receivers), there's now one computer based PLL that it switched
among various frequencies as needed.

I'm not sure what the improved interface is as I've been using knob and
buttons for so long that I'm used to the way they work and tend to think of
my interaction with the radio in those terms, but I have to believe that
there is a totally new design out there.

73,
Mark