[TenTec] Orion Reliability was IC-7800 Review

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Wed Jun 30 04:01:27 EDT 2004

Tommy

I am always more than a little curious when I read your reports.  You appear
to be very dissatisfied with the reliability of your Orion.  Whilst I am
aware of a few things which could still benefit from improvement with the
radio, I am a long way from feeling that my Orions are unreliable pieces of
equipment.

I guess there are a number of factors which might be responsible for our
difference in perception of the utility of the product, including:

Firmware level
Menu configuration
The way we use the product
Local environmental issues
Hardware integrity

I have two Orions.  The first was delivered just before Christmas last year
and the second I collected from Dayton.  So far as I can tell to date, the
operation of the two radios is identical.  From firmware level 1.369 onwards
I have had no instance of Orion hanging, crashing or loosing RF output.

I am very happy to exchange information with you on our respective
configuration and use of the product if you think that might help you track
down more closely the reason(s) for your dissatisfaction.

73 Bob, 5B4AGN