[TenTec] Orion & SSB QRM question

Richard Detweiler rdetweil at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:28:54 EST 2004

Question on the use of the DSP and Filters for SSB QRM reduction.

Gave the Orion an good workout on SSB over the weekend.

Had a very difficult time on the 160M SSB Contest with QRM.  (a tough band
for SSB)

The weak signals were there, but signals nearby would wipe out copy almost
all the time.

They could hear me but the exchange was always messed up and so could not
make the contacts.

I beleive I understand the CW use of the Orion pretty well now when using it
in weak signals near large signals,  ( on the CQDX had station 1/2mile away
and was able to get up withing 300 Hz on CW and still copy the signal and
make the QSO ).

I think I understand the use of the BW/PBT HI/LOW cut and notch filters.
which work, but the signal becomes unreadable quickly.  The NB/NR & AN don't
neem to give any help.

Thanks for your help.

Also, Sorry for the excess bandwidth, pushed the send button before I had
the last one ready..

73's
Richard
K5SF