[TenTec] Orion Sweep

K Van Horn W7SV at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 8 19:17:56 EST 2004

Hi David,

You must realize that "bugs" are part of the system!(Hardware and software
both) EVERYTHING made by humans has them whether we like it or not! If you
are living right, the "bug" will be a software one so you don't have to send
your radio in for a hardware "bug" fix! The great part about TenTec radios
is the willingness of the company to fix these "bugs". Another great thing
about TenTec radios is that you do not have to buy a new radio to get a new
"non-bug" set of firmware! You just update your firmware over the internet
when the solution to the "bug" is found and you have saved yourself a LOT of
money!

The price has nothing to do with the occurance of bugs. They ARE present in
the latest and greatest $10000 radio (as documented on the ic7800 web page
of JA7UDE) as well as on every other radio made. The difference is that some
companies deny that these "bugs" exist and you are on your own(take it or
leave it). $3300 is unfortunately not enough money to guarantee that a radio
is bug free (I wish it were!!). Neither is $10000. Only time will fix these
"bugs" and then only if the manufacturer is willing to address them. With
Ten Tec, there is no question that they will acknowledge any "bugs" and
strive to correct them. There are (expensive)radios in use today that have
been around for 15 years that have terrible keyclicks, and the manufacturer
has still not acknowledged that there is a "bug", so there is no official
"fix".

Your premise abot $3300 is not correct, unfortunately.

73 es Gud DX,

Kirby, W7SV