[TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Thu Mar 11 18:35:17 EST 2004

Pete's comments are quite accurate.

For all-purpose applications, I suggest and have found to be very successful
a length of wire, preferabably #12 or #10 gauge solid copper.  Make it as
long as you have space for.  The length is not critical.  Longer is always
better. Center feed it with balanced feed from any good tuner, like one of
the Tentec series.  If one is into local contacts, put the antenna some 15
to 30 ft above the ground and this work well.  For DX contacts the higher
the better.  It doesn't have to be strung out in a straight line either.  If
zig-zags are necessary due to support arrangements, then so be it.  If you
have only one convenient support point available then make it the center and
slope the ends toward the ground.  Commonly referred to as and inverted V.
Or place one end as high as possible and tie the other end close to the
ground.  It becomes a good bit directional but works well in the favored
direction.

There's all sorts of discussions, pros and cons, about baluns and balanced
feeds and tuners. Still there is nothing better for all band operations than
a balanced fed wire antenna.

73
Bob, K4TAX