[TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion

edoc kd4e at arrl.net
Sat Mar 13 14:12:40 EST 2004

>>I would agree.  Just remember, typically a larger antenna will out-perform a
>>smaller antenna.  Thus a full wave loop, having more wire in the air, should
>>out-perform a 1/2 wave dipole.
>>73 Bob, K4TAX

I think that one will find various results with various antennas at
various heights over varying grounds for varying applications.

The only consistent factor is that we all get in trouble when we
try to state absolutes about wire antennas from location to location.

A dipole tends to be a "safe" choice, though not truly omnidirectional
(only a proper vertical offers that feature).  A dipole, environment
permitting, offers a broad distribution of signal -- also offering
little of what is sometimes called "gain" -- probably better labeled
"focus".

There is a fascinating discussion on the TowerTalk list on
contesting.com about Flag and Pennant wire antennas.  They offer
gain/focus through directionality, multiband features, and are
relatively compact horizontally vs a fully stretched dipole.

A long dipole/zepp at the proper height tends to provide excellent
receive sensitivity characteristics, low = NVIS for local
communications, high = DX.  The higher it gets, however, the broader
the pattern and thus the more signals received from more directions--
not always desirable -- and on TX one is spreading ones signal rather
than focusing it on a desired target -- also not always desirable.

Folks might visit LB Cebik's site and also subscribe to the TowerTalk
list as they will find highly experienced Hams who can add greatly to
this discussion -- this being a TenTec-specific list we are limited in
knowledge-base among TenTec folks (not a weak group, just a smaller
rig-focused vs antenna-focused one).

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Pasco County, FL