[TenTec] 80 meter loops

Mike Brown k9mi at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 18:01:32 EST 2004

Having never had the good fortune to have tall antennas,
I can verify (at least in my experience) that low dipoles
for 40/80/160 are pretty much omni directional. I'll give
you a for instance. I live in IN, and due to my lot the
40/80 dipoles run N-S. That would make one think  that
OH and IL would be the favored directions and MI,
and KY (off the ends) would be less. I hear all
equally well. Like I say, at least in my experience, low
dipoles are (mine are under the tribander on a 40ft
tower) are pretty much omnidirectional.

Never having had a loop up, I would imagine a low
horizontal loop for 80m would be an excellent antenna
for close in work on 80m, and probably be very quiet.

73, Mike K9MI