[TenTec] re: 238 tuners in various flavors

Paul DeWitte K9OT k9ot at mhtc.net
Tue Mar 16 09:20:02 EST 2004

Dave,

My understanding is that the original 238 tuner matches the Corsairs,
Paragons, and Omnis in color. It has a dial cord (like external VFOs) that
needs restringing when the stretch life is exceeded. Many people have done
this update with no problems after getting the kit from TT. There is a photo
on the unofficial TT web site at http://www.qsl.net/tentec/ under Tuners.

Our 238A is Jupiter dark grey with a different, more modern front panel. Its
younger sister 238B (for Orion black) may be pictured in TT ads that feature
accessories.

All three are very similar if not identical under the hood and on the track.
They are all excellent manual, 2 KW tuners. I was able to find a TT 253
automatic tuner to go with my Omni V and Hercules II, or the 238A would
still be in on my radio table.

If you do get a 238A or B, I would suggest you put on new knobs immediately.
Radio Shack sells suitable ones. Both knobs on my brand-new 238A cracked
right away, one of them the first time I turned it! TT did replace them and
I put the new ones away for future use.

73 de Peg KB9LIE in SW Wisconsin