[TenTec] 80 meter loops

Rick Westerman Rick at dj0ip.de
Tue Mar 16 14:34:38 EST 2004

Loop report continues after a paragraph on Field Day...

The first object of field day is to bring the guys together and
have fun, practicing for emergencies.
Winning the contest is optional and I must say my drive to do so
becomes less and less each year.
The Bar-B-Q and the Beer and the eyeball QSOs are growing in
interest.

Pete, in your case it sounds like the garden snake scored the
most points!

Seriously though, I fully agree with Bob.
Real tests with permanent antennas are the best way to check out
a new idea.
Unfortunately, I don't personally know a single ham here in
Germany with a big enough yard to put up this "Lazy Loop" (as I
like to call it).  I'm sure there are several and indeed we work
many on the bands, but I don't know any anywhere near where I
live.

However, I would like to repeat that my FD operation with this
antenna was not just once or twice but at least a dozen times
AND, I used it as my only antenna when operating as the [only] CW
operator (C31SE) in a 10-day dx-pedition to Andorra back in 1979.
The sideband ops were running an SB-220 linear amp (they had a
generator) but I worked far more stateside on 80m than they did
(with their dipole) and I was only running 50w with my [original]
Omni (analog).

Now Pete (+ 10 KW generator) get this:  I ran 10 days off of CAR
BATTERIES (only one battery per car, we had 4 cars). We were on
top of the highest mountain in the Pyrenees, El Rabasso, over
2000m up.  Each day one group of 3 to 4 people would drive to the
valley to purchase supplies (and take showers).  That would
recharge the battery of the car I had used the day before.
Amazing how long you can run a well designed analog rig with its
dial lamps switched off and output power reduced to 50w.
I guess the call sign made up for the missing 50w!  I used no
poles, just trees.  The antenna was only up about 6 to 8 meters
on the 4 corners and drooping lower in the middle of the legs.
According to theory, it never should have worked for dx.  Well my
logbook is full of dx on all bands!

Long Live Lazy Loops !!!  :-))

73
Rick