[TenTec] Capture area (was 80 meter loops)

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Fri Mar 19 21:59:51 EST 2004

ac5e at comcast.net wrote:
> A 3/2 wave center fed dipole has an odd number of quarter waves on each side, and has a reasonable feedpoint impedance, as witness the success of the many who use their 40 M dipoles on 15.
>
> On the other had a 3/2 wave END fed monopole has the same drawback as a 1/2 or 2/2 wave end fed monopole. The feedpoint impedance is outta sight!

Thanks Pete and Sinisa...

I was just trying to get an idea if my QRP operation would be better
suited to 1/2, 2/2 or 3/2 length endfed antenna with the wire directly
tied to the center conductor out of the rig and a suitable (if
necessary) counterpoise wire - thereby eliminating all feedline.

I have a big pile of wire and was wondering, before I go chopping it up,
if anyone had tried connecting the antenna wire directly to the SO239 or
BNC connector with no feedline and had any recommendations as to which
performed better, the 1/2, 2/2 or 3/2, or even 5/8, etc. for a given
band or set of bands.

I had read here and there where a vertical endfed antenna seemed to
outperform a generic dipole under the same conditions, height, etc.

73 Jason N1SU