[TenTec] The Great Debate

Richard Hemingway rheming1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 20 09:24:09 EST 2004

Jeff,

I am right where you are thinking of going.  I sold an Icom 756
PROII, my Winchester 101 over and under shotgun and some McIntosh
stereo equipment and first bought a Jupiter.  I really liked it but I
have been fascinated by the Orion and was really looking to it.  I
kept the Jupiter for about three weeks and sent it back and ordered a
"demo" Orion, which arrived two days ago.

I am still learning what all the buttons and menus do and how they
work (a labor of love I might add).  In my earlier life I owned a TT
Omni VI and a scout and earlier yet a Yeasu FD 1000D.
So far I am not at all sorry that I sold all that stuff above and
really like the Orion.  It is a keeper.  I do find that I liked the
display better on the  Jupiter.  I wish you could control the
brightness on the Orion disply.  You can adjust the contrast and
whether it is white on black or black on white.  It is a little too
bright and looks somewhat washed out.

The little  I have used it, it has better RX than the Jupiter or the
Icom.  BTW the low end of the Orion sub-Rx is much better than on the
Jupiter.

BTW the five pin DIN cable ( it was an 8 pin for the Icom and used
with the SignaLink interface for PSK31 - which I made a 5 pin by
clipping off three pins and re-wiring the SignaLink for TT rigs)
works just fine with the Orion.

Take care and good luck,

73,

Dick, N5XRD