[TenTec] Orion vs. RX-340 TT Rcvrs.

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Sun Mar 21 18:16:25 EST 2004

> I would be interested to know how the 340 compares to
> the Orion "sub"  receiver. I thought that they were pretty
> much the same.

Oh my goodness,  NO,  there is no favorable comparison
at all!  That is why I use the 340 as the Orion subrcvr via
Carl's software.  The benefit to the 340,  first of all:

1.  You would use the sub to find the stations to which
the DX is responding,  correct??  You are probably on
the mainland,  and might live in a metropolitan area in
which there are many other folks trying to call to the
DX around the split frequency area.  The 340 has the
strong front end parameters to prevent overload to
your rcvr among those local power signals plus,  the
340 filters have very steep skirts;  steeper than the
Orion sub rcvr,  absolutely.  Carl,  N4PY,  posted characteristics
of the 340 DSP filters long ago.

2.  Well,  I give up,  there is just too much benefit to using
the 340 in place of the Orion sub rcvr to go into detail, but
the above,  point 1, is certainly the principal benefit.   The
rest depends upon a lot of real time parameters controlling
at the time you are operating.

3.  I suppose it is obvious that the 340 is better than the
Orion subrcvr for all other "non amateur band" operation,
especially for AM SWL interests.

Enough; the 340 is in a separate class completely!!  And
I do not plan to install Carl's 5 kHz roofing filter mod in my
340 'cause I don't use it that way.  BTW,  Carl,  at last report
had found no particular use for his installed narrower roof
filter.  The 340 front end is just so "strong", that he has yet,
evidently,  to have found a need for it.........still true,  Carl??

Best and 73 to all,  Jim  KH7M