[TenTec] Orion in action

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Tue Mar 23 09:32:25 EST 2004

Congrats on the big score...very nice work!
And yes, the Orion seems to be a very nice contest box!

And yes, there is some clipping on the first couple of dot on the Orion.
I've been trying for two weeks to get my weight set so that it's good at
both 20 wpm and 80 wpm, it sure is difficult to achieve. I'm using a PC
sound card to key my rigs, via an audio detector circuit. With a Corsair 2
and an Omni 6, this clipping problem is not evident, but it sure is on the
Orion, especially above about 35 wpm.  At speeds below 40 wpm, it does 'OK'
if you have the CW RISE/FALL set for, say, 8ms, but anything above about
60wpm, it just will not key unless you drop back to 3 ms Tr/Tf. Sure hope
that can soon be improved along with the split VFO operation CW operation
also.

Tom - W4BQF