[TenTec] Omni VI low TX power

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Thu Mar 25 18:43:16 EST 2004

Hi all,

My Omni VI TX power output is low. Only about 60 watts output on 160
meters. I have inspected the PA and LPF, and reflowed solder there too.
Immediately after doing so the power was up to more like 80 watts. Then
a few hours later after the rig had been on continuously (no, not
transmitting) as it usually is, the power was back down to about 60
watts. I did not see anything that looked wrong in the PA or LPF. So it
think the power went up just due to the rig cooling off. I have tested
this theory, by turning the rig off for ten minutes, turning it back on
and checking the power again. It goes up to about 80 watts when first
turned on, and then in a few minutes it is down to 60 watts again. I
don't think there is anything wrong with the PA, and I suspect an
earlier stage. I am suspicious of U1 on the BPF/FRONT END BOARD, or
perhaps U4 on the TX AUDIO BOARD.

Anyone been down this road already?

Ken, N6KB