[TenTec] The Paragon - Your opinion please

M. P. Haynes k4beh at juno.com
Tue Mar 30 20:00:22 EST 2004

Hello Peter,

I have a Paragon that I bought used in 1992 and it has served me
extremely well since.  I had problems with one of the phase lock loop
boards but resoldering it fixed the problem permanently.   It is a very
versatile rig with dual VFO's, excellent Ten-Tec QSK and excellent
results on SSB as well.  Our local ham group has used it on Field Day
each year until I got a Jupiter last year and it has performed perfectly
getting us first in our class in our state (1AGA) in five out of nine
years.  I have all the filters available installed; 6.0 kHz, 2.4 kHz, 1.8
kHz, 500 Hz and 250 Hz.  The CW filters are crisp and sharp with no
ringing.  My unit has an aftermarket software chip called the Giehl chip
which gives it added features and flexibility.  It is a general coverage
receiver covering 100 kHz to 30 mHz.  I don't think you can go wrong with
the prices I've seen lately on the reflector here.  Cheers!

73,

Pat Haynes - K4BEH