[TenTec] Progess Energy & BPL

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri May 7 12:26:49 EDT 2004

Once upon a time, we lived with an illusion about the Federal Communications
Commission.  We kept detailed logs (to the point of even logging our
"CQ's"), gave advanced notice of planned portable operations, gave up
cherished calls when we moved out of district, and otherwise strictly
followed the rules, out of our belief that if we did our part, the FCC would
treat us, if not well, as fairly as they dealt with any other licensed
communications user.

And maybe, once upon a time, that illusion was true.

But it also was true that the FCC was a political agency run by political
bureaucrats.  And whereas, once upon a time, most of those bureaucrats came
from a technical background (usually in broadcasting, or military
communications, or some other related fields), today it appears that the
ones who really hold the power are attorneys, or hold a background in law.
(Let us not forget that Riley Holingsworth is an FCC attorney, even though
he's one of the few FCC staffers who is "one of us" -- a licensed and
practicing radio amateur)

My point?  BPL rules changes may well ride on how the lawyers split the
legal definitions.  If they can define what "harmful interference" legally
constitutes without regard for what "harmful interference" really is...
'nuff said.

And don't forget that these are the same attorneys, and firms that they
represent, who told the FCC that BPL would benefit rural citizens by
providing broadband access affordably.  Now they say that they plan on
rolling out BPL only in the cities and more populated areas, because rural
BPL is not cost effective.  Right.

73, ron wn3vaw
please note my new email address
email sent to my old address is no longer being forwarded