[TenTec] Re: Missionary Radio Activity [Was: 555]

Bert Braun, DD5XL maschinist at gmx.de
Fri May 7 17:47:24 EDT 2004

doc schrieb:

>> As long as some missionary nets in Africa and South America use the
>> amateur bands illegally for their chats, reviling hams on the same or
>> nearby QRGs, no ham will really give them a radio for free or even low
>> price.

> English speaking missionaries are using Ham gear on Ham
> bands without Ham licenses?

Yes, in deed!
But most of them are not english speaking. There is e.g. a quite active
net in Africa around 14.240 USB, switching occasinally to LSB when
triggered by HAMs and the OPs are reviling HAMs on the same QRG.

> Can you document who it is and with whom they are affiliated?
> It should be a simple matter to stop that quickly -- such would
> be a gross violation of Biblical ethics.

Yes, I think I can.
In our national radio organizations' magazine, CQ-DL, is a regulary item
reporting the abuse of hamradio frequencies by non-ham services,
including these missionary nets.
I will collect the reports of the past months for you in a separate
posting, if you can only stop one of them, it will be a success for
every ham!

> I have also served as a relay or merely ragchewed with a number
> of missionaries on the Ham bands and again every one was
> duly licensed and careful to obey the laws of the nation in
> which they served.

These mentioned missionary nets are not operated by any licensed
missionary, they simply use amateur radio transceivers in the amateur
radio bands as a cheap communication between each other.

> Please qualify your assertion with facts and I assure you
> that I will personally contact their sponsoring organizations
> to insist that any such offenses be terminated immediately.

I will do so and I hope, you are successful in your affordment.

73 de Bert