[TenTec] Cooling the Orion

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sat May 8 18:53:04 EDT 2004

> The nearest radio station is
>about 15 miles away, WHAS 50kw at 840khz. I can put a diode across a pair of
>32 ohm headphones and touch one lead to any ground in the house and hear
>several stations.
>

> Nothing more
>than a diode across a meter with a telescopic antenna. I can touch it's
>antenna on any part of the rig, ground, coax shield, antenna switch etc.
>with everything turned off and get a half scale reading!

That seems like a lot of RF for even a 50 kW station 15 miles away. I
wonder if there is another station of some sort even closer that you
haven't identified.
Also hearing several stations makes me wonder, what is the second
nearest station? Is there more than one TX diplexed onto WHAS's tower?

When I was using a full quarter wave tower for 160, and had three 1 kW
MWBC stations within three miles (two on the same tower) a couple of
series resonant traps tuned to the strongest BC stations and shunting my
antenna, solved a lot of problems. I used 1 kW sized components for a
while, and then later put it in a receive only part of my RF switching
and used tiny parts.

DE N6KB