[TenTec] Keying Mode (was Band Stacking)

Mike kc8wr at bright.net
Mon May 10 23:47:25 EDT 2004

Mode "A" and "B" refers to the manner which a Morse Code keyer handles
IAMBIC (squeeze) keying.  Iambic keyers will send alternating "dits" and
"dahs" as long as both the "dit" and "dah" paddles are depressed or
squeezed.

The difference between mode "A" and mode "B" confuses many people, me
included.  I could never get use to the mode "B" style.  Mode "A" is the
easiest for me to use, it only sends the element that is associated with the
closure of either the "dit" or the "dah" paddle.  It adds nothing.

The biggest difference is what the keyer does when BOTH paddles, of an
"Iambic" paddle, are released.

Mode "B" is quite different.  It adds one element to the actual closure of
the "dit" or the "dah" paddle.  For instance, if you release the "dah"
paddle, in Mode "B" it will send an ending "dit".  Remember, BOTH paddles
are RELEASED.  If you release the "dit" paddle, it will send an ending
"dah"....I guess that is what they call self completing.  It confuses the
hell outa me!  Just can't get use to it.....

For a better or maybe a clearer explanation of how the different modes
operate see    http://home.att.net/~jacksonharbor/modeab.pdf

I'm going to try mode "B" again one of these days, it just won't be tonight!