[TenTec] Re: New Yeasu FTdx9000

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Sat May 15 17:24:51 EDT 2004

> Kind of reminds me of the men's razor wars. First it was 1 blade, then
> 2, now it's 3 blades for a closer shave.

I believe Schick now has a FOUR blade razor.

The Orion hit the street.  Wisdom from the other radio-brand afficianados
was that a crystal receiver made from a razor blade and some pencil lead
would be better.  Right.

Then the 7800 was announced .. and every receiver in the world was
instantly cr*p.  Now the FT DX9000 has been announced and once
again, that Icom thing that just started deliveries a few weeks ago is cr*p.
After all, according to a translation of the brochure posted in one of the
burgeoning number of Yahoo groups on this radio,  the DX9000 can
"detect signals at the noise level" ... well , duh?

If they really want to brag about something they should brag about knob
and button count -- they clearly have everyone beat.  Except I don't have
any one around here with fingers that small :-)

But they certainly have given the Icom engineers something to worry
about --- you can get your rotor control display in the rig's LCD screen.
And Icom can't do that ..  I'm sold!

 When did these vendors just get really S-T-U-P-I-D ??  Or maybe the
question should be "when did hams get this stupid and start believing all
of this 'elite-class' marketing bullsh*t.

It has less to do with the car than how you perceive other people will
percieve how impressive a person YOU must be since you drive that car.
Groan.

Grant/NQ5T