[TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sun May 16 03:57:39 EDT 2004

> I have a godson who is quite computer
>literate and interested in amateur radio. I would no more advise him to look
>up this form than I would have him listen to 27 mhz.

Okay, fine, but don't you mean "forum"?

> I am interested in communications weather
>it is with a $4,000.00 Tentec a $10,000.00 dollar Icom, Yaesu or a Trash can
>radio. I am recent convert to Tentec and I hope I never close myself off to
>others because they have a different choice in rigs than I do.

Varied opinions about what makes a good rig and what makes a good value
in a rig are part of how we learn about the gear and are part of the
information we use to decide where to spend our dollars. If you want to
spend $10K on a rig that looks like a VCR on steroids, that so far has
not been shown to be equal in performance (knob and button count not
considered) to a $4K rig, be my guest. I'll be glad to QSO you, and I'll
not berate you for your choice. Somebody has to buy one so we can find
out how well it does work. Hopefully after spending $10K you would still
be humble enough to give an accurate assessment of the rig, even if you
found you had spent $6K more for cosmetics and got no real improvement
in performance. Of course at this point none of us really knows.

Enjoy whatever rig you have, and dream of the ultimate rig you hope to
have. We'll continue to discuss what exactly that ultimate rig is.

73 DE N6KB