[TenTec] New Yaesu Rig: Joke's on you guys

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Mon May 17 20:04:27 EDT 2004

One should always remember the last laugh is the best laugh.

An XLR jack in a mockup is no guarantee that there will be an XLR jack on the rigs that ship.  Nor is an XLR plug on a mike a guarantee of quality audio - the TELEX avsets I have lack a heap of being hi fidelity. But I have seen worse mikes with Cannon plugs on them.

A Calrad ribbon mike from about fifty some years ago comes to mind, since the carbon element from a telephone handset gave better fidelity. Although I did have to improvise a bias source from a Burgess 45 volt B battery.

But if an XLR jack is present on the production rig, it's a pretty safe bet Vertex intends to make a new mike a mandatory accessory.  At a pretty penny, of course. But the guy who can shell out close to fifteen grand for a rig won't mind a few hundred more for a mike.

Now, for that matter, that not extremely clear image looks like a two pin jack. I don't see a PTT jack on the back either. Yuri would consider that a disaster!

Will the new rig be VOX only?  That would be interesting - especially for blokes like me whose dogs often get upset when the hamshack cat makes his grand entrance.  Which is the reason I don't use VOX at all.

Of course, Vertex could be planning on using the shell for ground and dedicating one pin to the mike and the other to PTT.  Which would most likely bring on another host of other problems.

Anyhow, it's way too early to do anything except hope we don't get 400 watts worth of phase noise and key clicks instead of the 200 watts worth we get now. Speculation is fruitless, and not worth the effort. Back to the chase. DX chase, of course!

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on