[TenTec] New Orion Firmware

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 20 18:00:41 EDT 2004

Hi Bob,

5B4AGN wrote:
 >I have tried the CW MOX setting and I can't fathom it at all.  This just
does not seem to work.  If I set "PTT in CW as MOX" in the menu then the
rig continues to work in QSK!  Not only that but the only effect of
grounding the PTT line is that RX audio is muted.  The RX itself is not
muted and the S-meter continues to register received signals.  Pressing
the VOX button to ON has the same effect, merely muting RX audio.  I
have wondered if maybe something had gone wrong with the flash update.
I did it again and then did a master reset but all to no avail.  As a
double check I next flash updated the second Orion just brought back
from Dayton.  This behaves identically to the first.  Have I overlooked
something or is this feature merely a jape to exasperate contesters?

         In addition to muting the receiver, the PTT line should be closing
the AMP KEY line to your amplifier.  I agree that the radio still works
in QSK, but of course you can adjust EXT T/R Delay so that the amp will
still work in Semi-Breakin in case you forget to depress PTT.  As I recall,
this is exactly how my MP worked.  Although my preferred mode was to
press my footswitch, Semi-breakin was there to "rescue" me in case I did
not depress it fast enough for the computer keying (I also use manual keying
in parallel with CT for contests).

         Bottom line to all of this is Orion's PTT should definitely be
closing your amplifier's T/R relay in addition to muting Orion.  If it
is NOT doing that, something is wrong with your setup, but it works fine
for me.  This is what I expected when I first set up my Orion last August,
and was very disappointed when my footswitch via the MIC connector gave
me a key-down carrier on CW!  Thanks to Ten-Tec for listening.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV