[TenTec] Info on the Argonaut 515?

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Sat May 22 13:55:15 EDT 2004

As I recall, Tim, the 515 was not cheap (compared to other rigs people
wanted at that time).  The 515 has a solid receiver, same basic design
as the Triton IV, probably some improvement over the 509 (though I used
both and enjoyed them equally).  I believe demand was not there for the
515.

The only thing I always do to a 515 that comes across my bench is to put
a second 4 pole filter in line for the receiver (giving a total of 8
poles filtering).  This allows the nice transmit audio to continue, and
I find that it vastly reduces the blowby I usually experience with
nearby strong signals.  I always suspected this to be a physical
coupling problem, because when I stick in the 4 pole filter at a
slightly different spot in the IF chain (down towards the RX), it
completely disappears.

All in all, the 515 is a very fine radio.  Anyone have a spare for sale,
now I want mine back.

Clark
WA3JPG