[TenTec] ??QSK GONE AWAY

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sat May 22 21:34:57 EDT 2004

Nope. I'll have to confess to you and all, I do not sit around and test full
QSK between dits!! When I say my Orion QSK works good at 70 wpm, what I
really mean is that if my QSO partner breaks me, I have no problem at all
hearing him.(my main 'delay' factor is reaching for the ESC key to dump the
buffer.) Do I hear between the dits at 70 wpm, heck at 70 wpm, I'm not
conscious of the dots and dashes forming the words I'm copying, so I don't
know. When I get down to 40 or 30 wpm (80% of my operation), can I hear
between the dits? Yes, I  can.

I have great technical respect for W8JI and quite often read his web site,
where I consider the information to be both informative and correct. And I
do understand that since 160m is where his main concern lies, he certainly
does not like to hear a thump or click from any radio used on that band. I
also have great respect to the majority of the guys I talk with doing QRQ as
I think they know also how to adjust a rcvr when listening to clicks. And
when they tell me I do not have clicks on either side of my signal, I
certainly tend to believe them.

I guess I have more enjoyment from the operation of a rig, rather than
technically nit-picking it to death. But if the rig I presently own does not
perform to my satisfaction, it will be replaced quite quickly.

Tom - W4BQF