[TenTec] Help please , Orion with Alpha 91B

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Mon May 24 16:40:37 EDT 2004

Dave

What Ten Tec suggests for the Omni VI+ is not good!  Here's why.......

The T/R switching in the 87A is very fast.  It is pin diode switching
not mechanical relays.  The T/R switching on the VI+ was timed for a
mechanical vac relay.  TX out from the VI+ drops before the completion
of a character element.  If there is a mechanical delay in the amp that
matches this delay then no problem.  However, the 87A is fast and clips
character elements in QSK which produces horrible clicks and truncated
elements.  When I use my VI+ QSK I have to use a pulse extender on the
TX line interface to the 87A to avoid the problem.  The Orion works fine
just connecting Amp key 1 on the Orion to Relay on the 87A.

73  Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F