[TenTec] re INRAD mod for omni vi+

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 19:25:46 EDT 2004

The mod is supposed to give a flatter frequency response in the rx audio
passband.
The stock response curve shows it dropping off on the higher audio
frequencies as I recall but don't hold me to that--it has been awhile since
I read about it.
There is also some ripple on the curve that the mod smooths out.
I understand the stock omni vi+ rx bandwidth is pretty narrow with the 2.4
khz filters and the dsp--somewhere around 1600 or 1700 hz wide.  That's
probably pretty good for dxing and contesting (and it was originally
designed to be a competition rig I think) but not so great for ragchewing.
You get a couple of components to replace stock components with, both SM and
thru-hole so you have what you need depending on what vintage omni you have,
and an instruction sheet.  The 15 bucks really pays for the knowledge.  It's
a reasonable price.  I don't know why, but there is a lot more about it in
the INRAD paper catalog with before and after scope screen shots, and not
much on the website.  Anyway, it is strongly recommended by inrad that the
mod be done along with the addition of the 2.8 KHz filters to get its full
benefit.  I think some of the guys here on the reflector have done the mod
and can speak to its easyness or difficulty.  I have not done it yet--I have
the package; stuff keeps coming up so I never get around to it (also, I'm a
little, "bawk bawk," chicken, suffering from low soldering iron confidence).

GL,
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ