[TenTec] RE: Orion / Pro II DSP Question

Eric SENSI eric.sensi at skynet.be
Sun Nov 7 14:13:20 EST 2004

>And I'm sure the Orion must be sent in
>for repairs if it's a hardware failure that happens

Really ? :-)))))

At the risk of stating the obvious, I can't see how the Orion could be
software patched to cure an hardware problem. The Orion, in this register,
is like any other rig on the market today. Also I don't think a better
software for the Orion could be a substitute to any hardware design error or
failure ! They put some hardware and software in the Orion, now the trick is
to find the perfect match between those 2 technologies, they're working on
it on a daily basis (I hope so !) and the Orion, one day, will receive the
perfect set of algorhytms to control the hardware... and when this day comes
it will be the time for the TT team to think about the Orion MKII, or the
Orion+, or another galaxy name (The new Tentec Cetus model #NGC-217 sounds
pretty cool !)

You all, do you really think that this radio will be produced again in the
next 20 years ? Personally, I don't think so and this totally logical,
what's your personal opinion about that ?

My first Orion was defective and I never ever cured any of the HW problems
with any upgrades (or downgrades) to the SW ! When the HW fails, you could
have a Cray 1-A behind you and this will not change anything !

My $0.02

Eric