[TenTec] N4PY Orion Control Program Version 1.12 Released

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Wed Nov 10 09:19:45 EST 2004

I guess I should have read all the mail before asking my question.
Thanks, Dudley and Tom, for the tip on the USB ports.

On the other hand, there seem to be conflicting explanations and
experiences here:  some people don't see the lag while others do, and
Carl says that the lag is not port speed dependent, implying that moving
to a USB port should not improve matters.  In order to minimize the lag
problem in my shack, I am using a desense setting of 11 on the remote
pod, which helps somewhat.  However, if I want to make a large change in
frequency, the pod moves too slowly, and I usually wind up using the
mouse and Fast A key on the display.  Nevertheless, I have a spare USB
port and a serial adapter here.  I'll try it and see what happens.

As far as my comments regarding the N4PY keyboard are concerned, I
should have said that I was using W98 on a 450 MHz machine at the time,
and that I was quite unfamiliar with the program and did not spend any
time trying to improve the keying.  Perhaps if I had worked at it, the
problem might have been solved.  I should also add that I minimize the
number of applications running, even on the 2.2 GHz machine, so that the
amount of CPU resources devoted to generating CW, transceiver needs, and
other ham software applications are maximized.  The only problem I've
noted with the DX4WIN keyboard is that if I save the log while it's
sending, there might be a slight, one time momentary delay.

73, Joe