[TenTec] True QSK?

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Fri Nov 12 12:39:43 EST 2004

W9OY wrote:

> I built my first "QSK" amp in about 1981.  ...  I made the relay
> out of a bunch (around 12)of parallel surplus glass
> vaccuum reeds that I wound a common coil for ...

Wow!  You probably didn't "hot switch" them which is one reason why they
worked.  I am still using a mercury wetted relay to switch the antenna in my
QSK system.  A Western Electric 276 type, rated for switching 5 amps in
telephone service, handles the 600 watts output of my SB200 on CW into a 50
ohm load quite nicely.  No I don't hot switch it either.  And it makes a
barely audible "plink" when it switches.

Jim, W8KGI