[TenTec] Argonaut 509...The Saga Begins

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Sun Nov 14 22:51:32 EST 2004

Hey Rich!

> I just procured a 509 that was adverstised as "mint". Well, guess
> what? It wasn't. Surprise, surprise!

I hate when that happens.

> To start off, the receiver LO has been played with. The QRP calling
> freq of 7040 is somewhere around 7160 on the Argo dial. Some folks you
> just can't trust with a tuning tool.

Common problem.  I've seen it in many of the 509's I've picked up.  The
dial cord can be off, too.  Pain in the butt, but when you get it
right, it runs smoothly (Ten Tec has cord and other parts when needed).

> The IF board is not what I have become use to in my previous 8 or 9
> Argonaut 509s. This board does not have the IF xtal filters on a
> seperate PCB that plugs piggy-back onto the top of the IF board. No,
> this one has four IF xtals soldered onto the IF board...strange. Is
> this an early IF board, perhaps? The s/n of this particular Argo is

Most of my Argo 509's had this board.  I had to wire in a separate 4
pole filter to get the 8 pole total, and I got the added benefit of
much better stop band attenuation (I think that the board allows a lot
of blow by, and I put another 4 pole into the circuit before the first
filter, completely curing the blowby as I recall!  I would just get
another 4 pole, it is cheaper and easier :-)

> The RF output is, shall we say, "suspect". Tuning into a dummy load
> via a WM-2 wattmeter, full scale on the Argo meter with the METER
> switch in the FWD position should yield about 2.5-3 watts output. It
> registers 1.3 Watts on the WM2. I can crank the DRIVE control full
> clockwise and get about 8 watts out of the Argo. This should not
> happen. I suspect that there are some "spurs" or other garbage on the
> output of

Not too unusual.  I got 5 - 6 watts from several of mine.  You might
check with Garland at Ten Tec (Charlie, W1HZE mentioned Garland, the
right fellow to speak with!!!)
about this, he would know whether it is a problem or not.

> The receiver does work, although the RESONATE control is exceptionally
> "loose" and it tends to roll counter clockwise when tuning bands 14
> MHz and higher.

Again, pretty common in the ones I've had.  Use more felt washers or
add some stiffer grease at the right points.  Ten Tec has suggestions
on this one, too.

> The bandswitch is flakey...I mean REALLY flakey. I have to jiggle the
> bandswitch each time I change bands to insure that the switch contacts
> are making good contact and the rig will work. Guess I might be in the
> market for a bandswitch, huh?

I would not worry, try some ProGold from Caig, or get some DeOxit D-5
from Caig.  I would not use run-of-the-mill Tv tuner cleaner, the Caig
products will preserve the lube and it is what Ten Tec recommends in
the switches.

Let us know how it works out!

Clark
WA3JPG