[TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Nov 25 11:16:44 EST 2004

Hi Lee,

(IMO), The K2 is an excellent CW rig which works SSB in a pinch.  Perhaps
I'm being too hard on the K2 here, but as a CW rig I give it a 10 and as a
SSB rig, only a 7.

Well I use a K2 for my contesting which is 99% from remote locations.
I find the Orion, though absolutely a better performer, to be too big (and
too expensive) for taking on trips where it will be used by a multitude of
other users.  Before I sold my OMNI VI+ to buy the Orion, I used the Omni
for CW contests instead of the K2 - not because the Omni could hear any
better but simply because I found the Omni easier to use (I don't like tiny
radios for contests).  This is probably not a problem for many other ops.

Disregard any measurements.  They are for the purists.  After running the K2
side by side with the Omni VI+ for a couple of years, then nearly a year
next to the Orion, in my opinion, the K2, on CW, is about the same as the
Omni.  No huge noticeable difference.  Neither is in the same class with the
Orion.

On SSB, I don't use the K2 much because of two things.  First and foremost,
it does NOT have a passband tuning (PBT) - by design.  There is a
"work-around" for this but I haven't tried it yet.  Second, what I call
"serious work" (e.g., contests and dx), I work 99% CW.  Otherwise I am rag
chewing on SSB and there I simply enjoy the Jupiter better.  Thus, the K2
(100) remains my portable CW rig.

In my opinion, if your primary use is SSB, the Omni VI+ wins over the K2.
If it's CW, then the size of the box will probably be the determining
factor.

In a perfect world, we would own all of the rigs above.
(I can't afford it.)

73
Rick